Wednesday, January 12, 2011

21 Days to Getting Organized Day 10


Day #10 The Laundry Room in the Garage

So when I read this challenge last night it was about 9:30pm. I knew this was going to be another HARD challenge for me so I wanted to get started right away. My laundry area is in the garage, it's open to everything and I've struggled with making it both functional AND easy on the eyes. That being said, last night it was 29 degrees, so I pulled on my Uggs, threw on a coat and stocking cap and dug in.

Here's the Before:
My washer and dryer is right smack dab between the furnace and the freezer. It's not a pretty place, nor is it a functional space. I love laundry, I just hate doing it! That's not true, I like sorting and stain removal but I HATE putting it away.

Here are my cleaners, stored right on top of the dryer.

Cleared off and ready for a good cleaning. Look at all that LINT!

Did I mention it's freezing out here? So I plugged this guy in to warm my toes.

Here's my washer and dryer all clean. I don't think I've ever cleaned them before, sure I've wiped them down but I cleaned them.

I found this wooden cubby and placed my cleaners in it. I stepped away and thought not too shabby, went inside and knew there was no way I was going to post this . . . I could do SO much better! I had every intention of running to Target after work and finally making a decision on function and decor.

Then I got there . . . I seriously walked around in circles for 67 minutes. I put things in my cart, out of my cart, in my cart and finally just walked away from my cart and out the door. I was so disappointed. I really want this space to the Super Hero of garage laundry rooms. I want this space to have its' own identity but yet "match" the rest of the garage. So where do I start? I'm paralyzed with decisions.

Aside from cleaners and a basket, what are your "have-to-haves" in a laundry room?


3 comments:

Amanda said...

I think it looks great! I love the little cubby that holds your supplies! I say hang a nice big pic you love behind them and call it a season! That is until it's warmer and then go for it!

samantha said...

We hung a cabinet and 2 shelfs above ours. I then took some pop up totes and placed my cleaners in them and put them up on the shelfs. They are out of site and look much nicer. Good luck

Anonymous said...

I like to have shelves above the washer and dryer to store the laundry stuff. I also like to have a place to hang stuff as it is coming out of the dryer. You may be able to install wire shelving with a rod on the wall above the washer and dryer to serve both purposes.