Saturday, January 15, 2011

21 Days to Getting Organized Day 13

Day 13 The Medicine Cabinet

This was a fun one for me. I have few different places that are "medicine cabinets" to me so here's the tour:

BEFORE:
Here she is in all her glory, stuffed full of all sorts of beautifiers.

Clean

During my cleaning, I decided to throw on a little of this since I found it . . .


AFTER

I group HIS BEAUTIFICATIONS and HER BEAUTIFICATIONS together.

Then grouped my Philosophy in another container and left the rest in "clusters" of his and her areas.

My little love note from Maya, she wrote it a couple years ago and I look at it every morning and smile.

Next "Medicine Cabinet"

When I lived in an apartment I didn't have a medicine cabinet so I bought this tubs and labeled them . . . we've been in this house for 6 years now!

BEFORE:

These tubs have worked great, except the two that are labeled MEDICINE aren't very specific. When I have a cold the last thing I want to do is rummage through tubs finding the NyQuil.

I started with the CHILDRENS MEDICINE because I've been ignoring this one for awhile. I knew there was some sort of purple liquid medicine spilled on the bottom and it was a super sticky mess. I just never took the time to clean it.

This is me holding the bin upright and all the stuff stuck to bottom and sides . . .ehhh! Shame on me!

I cleaned the tubs, wiped off all the medicines, found out that BAND-AID has braille on each box (who knew, how cool is that!) and tossed everything that was expired. This is what was left. Beware if you try this at home, make sure you don't throw anything away that isn't a top to say your temporal thermometer cause then you have to dig through the trash with the ooey gooey sticky purple stuff.

This was another BEFORE tub, mostly stomach medicines but not all.

Once again I cleaned the tub, wiped the medicines and tossed the expireds.

Ooohhh on a side note, have you ever used this? It's the best for burns. Stops the throbbing right away! LOVE it!

The last MEDICINE tub, mostly cold medication but a lot of other junk too.

Cleaned, wiped and tossed. Whew that was fun and really pretty easy once I got over my anxiety of throwing away unused expired items. Dumb I know.

BEFORE Label


AFTER Label


All done!

Lastly: The Under Counter Medicine Cabinet

BEFORE:

Cluster

I took everything out, cleaned the cubby, tossed junk, and realize I need to use what I have before buying something else. Then I grouped like items with like items, stored what was used most up front.

This was a little cleaver and dorky all wrapped up into one. I re-purposed the tampon dividers that come in the multi-pak with like items. The cubby is large and all the tubes were hard to load in and stay put. Thank you Tampax!

AFTER this is still a work in progress since there are SO many items that are almost gone but I couldn't bare to throw them out!

That's all for my MEDICINE "CABINETS"!


6 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow! Nice job. So glad I'm not the only one with sticky kid medicine in the bottom of my bins :)

Jenna said...

You did like I did, just went organizing crazy today! good thing we get a day of rest tomorrow!

Amanda said...

Great job, well done! And the note from Maya, just so cute!

Cyndi said...

well done, you could have stopped at the cabinet behind the mirror, but you went above and beyond, doesnt it feel great. and now, thanks to murpheys law, you probably wont get sick, since it would be so easy to find what you need! double win!

Sally said...

Wow! That's awesome. And that little love note is the sweetest thing. I've saved so many little notes--I need to do something with them! :) Thanks so much for adding me to your blogroll. The new background looks great!

Anonymous said...

Great work! You did the cabinets too! Overachiever! ; )