Monday, January 10, 2011

21 Days to Getting Organized Day 9


Day #9 Toy Organization

The Play Room
(a.k.a. the spare bedroom, the computer room, the guest bedroom . . . the room where everything lands that doesn't have a place)

Before:

Here's the work horse shelf that holds the TV/DVD, Cable Box, Board Games, Wii Games, Crayons, Playing Cards, Flash Cards, and   . . . a Recorder. (I hope she has forgotten this just like I did) 

 
Before: Wii Games & Accessories just shoved in the basket.


After: Wii Games and Accessories all nice and neat. I just emptied everything out of the basket, put all the paper inserts in the correct case, put extra batteries in the bottom and then alphabetized the games.

Game Basket:
There's just a couple of games in here. I emptied the basket, dusted the games and put them back. 

After: Look at the transformation ; )

Here are the baskets and board games on the shelves. I just straightened the board games (I can't believe I am admitting this but I lined them up by title and age facing outward, making sure they all were the same size - darn operation!) and put the baskets back.

Here is the middle shelf cubby: this has card games, dominoes, flash cards, pick up stick and play-doh.

After: Once again I took everything out and wiped down the cubby and arranged things by size.

The other cubby: The Recorder . . . . Let's just put this back right where we found it mmm-kay?
Crayon Jar. This summer we really weeded through this jar and gave a bunch of the crayons away. 

Here's what we have left. I don't like the smell of crayons or play-doh for that matter.


After:
I'm sort of torn on labeling these baskets. I really like cute chalk board labels on baskets but the baskets are so tightly woven that I wouldn't be able to thread anything through, plus I really like the liners. I'm drawn to red, can you tell? As far as the cubbies, I could use chalk on those but I still need buy some chalk (it's only been 4 years since I bought the shelf!). My question to you all, to label or not to label, that is the question?

Happy Tuesday ; )

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Labels would be cute but if your little is old enough to know what's inside - as is is darn cute too.

Great job!

Samantha said...

I think open baskets/tubs where you can easily see what's inside isn't so important as when you have lids on the tubs. I know labels can only make things easier, but sometimes aesthetics have to win!

Well done on organising this, I wouldn't have the patience to do the games in size order!!

Anonymous said...

Job well done! If the kiddos already know where to find the stuff you can live without labels...unless you really want them.

Colleen said...

I love the red. Very cute!

Terri-Lynn said...

I love the baskets. I find storing games a challenge. You have done a lovely job of it.

Keeping Life Fun with one Craft at a Time said...

I love the colored baskets and great idea with all the crayons in the jar! i am a new follower. I would love for you to follow me back.

Ches said...

You did a great job organizing the toys. If you really want to add the chalkboard baskets and keeep the liner you could just use velcro to attach them to the basket. Thanks for stopping by my blog and please come back to see how I organized my little mans toys.

Melissa @ Little Raindrops said...

Looks great, Kristy! Thanks for stopping by and for the encouragement. :) It seems you all ready had a good handle on toy organization! Your baskets are way too cute. I agree with Paige about the labels and them not being necessary if things wind up in the correct baskets without them. Keep up the great work!
Ohh -- and I don't like the smell of crayons either! ;-)

Unknown said...

Loved the basket liners!

Check out this giveaway. notepads to help make organizing fun.

http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/01/notepads-that-make-organizing-fun.html